Its easy to add cute and convenient tabs to your prefolds. Use a purchased prefold or make your own using the instructions from Babyville Boutique™ Simply Soakers pattern booklet.
Babyville Boutique Diaper Pins
Babyville Boutique Label
Fabric Scraps for Tabs – Suggested fabrics: knit, microfleece, bamboo fleece, cotton velour, flannel
Optional: Dritz® Template Plastic
1. First, you will need to create a paper template. Cut paper 3 ½ʺ x 3 ½ʺ. Fold paper in half and round off top, then cut along rounded line. Unfold wing template. If you are going to make mulitple tabs, it is a good idea to transfer the paper template to template plastic so it will be more durable.
2. Trace template onto scrap fabric. You’ll need two of the outer fabric and two of the backing fabric. I used knit for the outer of my wings and some bamboo fleece for the backing fabric. For Snappi® type closures, make sure you use a thick material for one of your layers or add an extra layer for stability.
3. Pin outer and backing tab fabric wrong sides together. Sew around the sides and curve with a 3/8ʺ seam allowance, leaving the straight end open. Backstitch at the beginning and end of stitching.
4. Clip around curved edges then turn tabs right side out. Topstitch 1/8ʺ – 1/4ʺ from the edge to flatten tabs. Again, backstitch at the beginning and end of the stitching.
5. Pin the right side (outside) of your tab to the outside edge of your prefold. Align tab with top edge of prefold. Sew 5/8ʺ from the edge making sure to backstitch when starting and ending stitching. Trim fabric from the seam of the tab only, making sure not to cut the prefold. Fold tab over to cover the seam; Pin. Topstitch approximately 1/8ʺ from seam to secure the tab on the prefold.
6. Embellish with a Babyville Boutique label on the bum of prefold.
7. Use a Babyville Boutique diaper pin (or two for bigger kids) to secure tabs!